The days when shower curtains were called stale are long gone. With fresh colors and individual designs, the wet cell curtains are now often the icing on the cake of a fashionable bathroom. Cheaper and easier to install than shower cubicles, they are always.
However, the durability of shower curtains is limited. Lime, soap or even mold stains do the rest to tarnish the initial joy of the neat splash guard. How good that you can do something about this. Water marsch for our 10 tips for clean shower curtains!
1) As a general rule, plastic curtains are less sensitive than polyester or polyester-cotton blends. The latter have other advantages, but later. Regardless of which material they are made of, however, all shower curtains after showering should be briefly brewed to rid them of soap scraps, hair and dander. They are an appetizer for mold and germs.
2) Especially in the folds, where the warm and humid climate lasts long, the mold spores feel well. After showering, the curtain should therefore first be straightened and ventilated. Some people make eyelets on the hem of the curtain and hooks on the wall – then the fabric does not stick to the shower tray.
3) Apart from these routine measures, the shower curtain should be cleaned regularly. Especially when it has already become stained. Limescale deposits can be wonderfully removed by spraying the splash guard with active foam for bathtubs. Simply brush off the foam and rinse. The active foam can be applied to both plastic and textile curtains made of polyester or polyester cotton.
4) Unlike their comrades made of plastic textile curtains have the great advantage that they can usually be easily cleaned with the washing machine. If you add a few towels to the laundry, stains are additionally rubbed off the shower curtain. After the wash, you should hang the curtain while it is still wet – so it will be nice and smooth again by itself.
5) To help the washing machine with problem areas, you can add 50 g of soda to the laundry. Soda kills not only bacteria and fungi, but also lightens the colors again something. If the dirt proves to be particularly persistent, a Natron special treatment helps: Mix 2 tablespoons of soda with 1 tablespoon of water and rub the mixture with a sponge in the affected area. Then let it work for half an hour before you give the shower curtain in the washing machine. Use household gloves, as soda may irritate the skin.
6) For after-treatment, but also for regular care, vinegar essence or lemon are suitable. Its acid is an effective limescale remover and also has a disinfecting effect. For textile curtains you can also add some vinegar to the softener compartment of the machine.
7) Only with really serious mold infestation as well as with stubborn dirt chemical mold or chlorine cleaners should be used. The commercially available helpers in the colorful bottles are in part so aggressive that they permanently attack the impregnating protective cover of the curtain, which makes them even more vulnerable. Put the mildew or chlorine cleaner in a bucket of water and let the shower curtain soak overnight. Scrub and then rinse it off, it looks like new.
8) But prevention is always the better alternative. So you should insert your shower curtain even before the first use (or after the wash) for several hours in a bucket of salt water. The retracted salt layer forms a protective atmosphere against mold and germs.
9) In addition, the shower curtain can be impregnated with baby oil. Baby oil contains very little acid and thus supports the water-repellent coating. If the water flows faster from the splash guard and no droplets can adhere to it, less lime deposits.
10) Instead of baby oil is also glass cleaner with nano-effect, as it is used for windshields. This can be sprayed on comfortably and the curtain dries much faster than without special treatment. So have lime, mold and mildew no chance!
A small additional tip at the end: Already at the purchase you can influence the subsequent cleanliness of your shower curtain decisively by making sure that this is easily removable. The less complicated the curtain can hang off and hang up again, the sooner he will land with you regularly in the washing machine or in the salt water bath. Do you have a shower curtain with an original design or is it just beautiful? Then share it with us on Facebook!